Senior guard Alex Martin scored her 1,000thcareer point in Spalding's 80-68 win over Eureka College Saturday afternoon at Columbia Gym becoming the 10th player in program history to eclipse 1,000 points. With the win the Golden Eagles improve to 3-3 overall and 1-0 in SLIAC play.
THE SCORE: Spalding 80 – Eureka 68
LOCATION: Columbia Gym | Louisville, Ky.
RECORDS: Spalding 3-3 (1-0 SLIAC) | Eureka 2-4 (0-2 SLIAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first quarter, Spalding jumped out a 9-2 advantage following a Megan Goeing three-pointer and pushed their lead to as many as 14 points following a pair of Goeing free throws with 5:46 to play in the second quarter. However, Eureka outscored SU 14-7 to end the half to cut the Golden Eagles lead to seven, 45-38, at halftime.
- A Hunter Wright layup followed by back-to-back three-pointers by Allison Just and Maleah Hirn ignited an 8-0 Spalding spurt to open the second half, extending SU's lead to 15 points with 8:10 to play in the third quarter. Spalding went on to stretch their lead to a game-high 21 points following a Tse Gahagan and-one with 1:32 left in the third and remained in control cruising to an 80-62 victory.
- Five Golden Eagles finished the game in double-figures led by Just's 17 points and six rebounds, while Goeing added 16 points. In her first game back, Martin tallied 12 points and eight rebounds in 19 minutes of action. Freshmen Hunter Wright and Maleah Hirn added 10 points apiece, while Wright added 11 rebounds earning her first collegiate double-double. Gahagan also had a sold afternoon connecting on a career-high eight assists, while adding seven points and four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Olivia Falls paced the Red Devils offense with 13 points and eight rebounds, while Sierrah Seals and Samantha Sarnes added 10 points apiece.
- The Golden Eagles are back in action Tuesday, December 4 at Principia. Tip is 7:00 pm EST.
STORY COURTESY OF SPALDING UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION