Will it be the destiny of Westminster College or the history of Principia College that will mark the 2017 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Men's Soccer Championship? Westminster has won four straight SLIAC Tournament titles and didn't secure a playoff spot until the final game of the regular season. Principia College meanwhile playing in their first SLIAC Tournament since 2010 and are looking to become just the third team in conference history to win a title after not making the tournament the previous season.
How We Got Here
- Westminster knocked off the top seed in the tournament, Fontbonne, 1-0 thanks to an early goal from Justin Gerdiman.
- Fontbonne and Westminster each got off 16 shots in the game.
- After a 0-0 scoreless regulation and overtime, Principia moved past Webster 4-1 in penalty kicks.
- Principia scored on each of their four penalty kicks with David McCook burying the final shot to wrap up the game.
What You Need To Know
- The 2017 SLIAC Championship game will be played on Friday in Elsah, Illinois at 7 p.m.
- This marks the third time Principia has made it to the championship game, they have won both previous times.
- Westminster is looking to add to their conference record four straight tournament titles.
- The 2017 SLIAC Men's Soccer Tournament Championship game will be broadcast live on video thanks to CollegeCasts - WATCH