At a Glance
This week's SLIAC Game of the Week features two of the winningest programs in St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference volleyball when Webster University visits Greenville University. The two teams have combined to win 16 SLIAC Tournament Championships. Greenville and Webster will meet in Greenville, Illinois on Wednesday, October 10 at 7 p.m. in H.J. Long Gymnasium.
Greenville University 'PANTHERS'
Greenville comes into the week in first place in the SLIAC standings with a 10-1 record and are 14-8 overall. The Panthers have won three straight and six of their last seven matches. The Panthers are hitting .187 as a team, tops in the SLIAC, and also lead all teams in aces (167) and blocks per set (1.67).
Abby Freeman powers the Panthers offense, with a conference-high 355 kills. Her power is just as evident at the serving line where she has recorded 58 aces. Anna Finch roams the middle and has recorded 186 digs and 61 blocks. Emily Stahl and Brooklyn Pace have both topped 100 kills this season. The offense is run by Abby Quirin (9.25 a/s) while Allyson Grabowski leads the team with 4.97 digs per set.
Webster University 'GORLOKS'
Webster is 11-7 overall and 9-2 in conference play, good for 2nd place in the standings. The Gorloks have won a conference-best seven straight matches as they come into this week. The Gorloks rank 2nd in the conference with a .169 hitting percentage and lead the league with 23.79 digs per set.
Libero Kristen Farrah has had a stellar season, averaging 8.59 digs per set including three matches with over 40 digs. The balanced Webster attack includes the trio of Samantha Kruse, Samantha Budrovich, and Torie Grassi. Kruse leads the team with 183 kills, hitting .251 this season. Budrovich (132 kills) and Grassi (119 kills) are additional options in the attack. Kelsey Hamann (4.96 a/s) and Jenna Rodriguez (4.39 a/s) combine to run the offense.
- Webster leads the all-time series against Greenville 37-18, although Greenville has won three straight in the series.
- Greenville (4) and Webster (8) have combined to win the last 12 SLIAC Tournaments.
- Webster's Kristen Farrah leads NCAA Division III in digs with 541.
- Greenville's Abby Freeman ranks 2nd in Division III in points per set.
- During their seven-match winning streak, the Gorloks have not dropped a set.
- Greenville begins a three-match homestand on Wednesday which continues on Saturday with matches against Westminster and St. Mary of the Woods.