At a Glance
This week's SLIAC Game of the Week will be a key matchup for postseason berths in men's soccer as Spalding University visits Greenville University. The two teams battling for position in the standings will face each other on Saturday, October 21 at 2 p.m. in Greenville, Ill.
Greenville University 'PANTHERS'
Greenville begins the week with a 7-8 overall record and a 2-3 record in the SLIAC. They will face Iowa Wesleyan on Wednesday before taking on Spalding. The Panthers currently sit in 7th place in the standings but are just one game out of 5th with the top four teams making the tournament.
The Panthers have netted 36 goals this year, second-most in the SLIAC, and average 14.8 shots per game. Caleb Carpenter leads the team with 20 points, scoring a team-high nine goals this season. Adam Jones has totaled six goals and seven assists while Edgar Bueno has three goals and seven assists. In net, Nick Holland holds a 2.18 goals-against average with 58 saves and two shutouts.
Spalding University 'GOLDEN EAGLES'
Spalding is currently 6-7 overall and 3-2 in the SLIAC. The Golden Eagles have won three straight and will host Blackburn on Wednesday at 1 p.m. before taking on Greenville. Spalding is currently tied for 5th place in the SLIAC standings.
Spalding has scored a SLIAC high 42 goals this season. They are averaging 16.8 shots per game and lead the conference with a .193 shot percentage. Kornell Hilliard has 28 points this season, on 11 goals and six assists. Trustun Ashburn and Mirza Ugarak have each tallied six goals. Nick Lucas has seen the majority of the time in net, with 44 saves and a 1.69 goals-against average.
Last Meeting - October 19, 2016 in Louisville, Ky. - BOX SCORE
- Greenville leads the all-time series against Spalding 6-1-1.
- Spalding captured the program's first-ever SLIAC regular season title last year, going 9-0.
- Greenville is looking to make their first SLIAC Tournament since 2015.
- Spalding has won three consecutive games, tied for the second-longest active winning streak in the league.
- Greenville's Edgar Bueno and Adam Jones are tied for the SLIAC lead with seven assists.
- Spalding's Kornell Hilliard leads the SLIAC in points with 28 and is second in goals with 11.