At a GlanceThis week's SLIAC Game of the Week is a meeting between the only two remaining unbeaten basketball teams in the SLIAC during conference play, Eureka College and Webster University. The game is set for a 1 p.m. start on Saturday, December 17 in Grant Gymnasium on the campus of Webster University in St. Louis, Mo. You can follow the game on Live Stats or watch Live Video.
Eureka "RED DEVILS"
Eureka is currently 5-4 overall and 2-0 in the SLIAC. The Red Devils are coming off a loss to Chicago on Monday night, which snapped their two game winning streak. The Red Devils are averaging 74.6 points per game this year and attack from long range, knocking down a SLIAC high 78 three's this season. They have also hit the boards hard and are second in the league in rebounds.
The inside-outside duo of Michaela Balducci and Hayley Reneau have led the Red Devils this season. Balducci, a forward, is averaging 12.9 points and 8.2 rebounds per game while shooting 53-percent from the field. Reneau, a guard, is averaging 12.6 points with a team high 17 three-pointers and 25 steals. Meanwhile Kerrigan Dura is a jack of all trades; averaging 9.3 points, 4.9 rebounds, 5.0 assists, and 2.1 steals per game.
Webster University "GORLOKS"
Webster brings a four game winning streak into Saturday's game and are 7-1 overall and 2-0 in the SLIAC. The Gorloks lone loss of the season was on November 26th against Augustana. The Gorloks are leading the conference in scoring at 83.1 points per game despite their top scorer ranking just 8th in the league. The Gorloks have used a pressure defense during their hot start, leading the league at 20.4 steals per game.
Kelsey Miller leads the Gorloks in scoring (11.6 ppg), heading up a lineup that has seven players averaging at least 7.0 points per game. Miller is also tied for the team lead in assists and is fifth in the SLIAC in steals. Forward Natalie Busscher gives the Gorloks height on the court and averages 9.8 points per game while also manning the top of their pressure zone defense.
- Webster leads the all-time series against Eureka 12-10 with Eureka winning the last meeting 69-57 in late January of 2016 in Eureka, Ill.
- During their four game winning streak the Gorloks have won by an average of 36.8 points per game.
- Eureka believes in the long ball, 38-percent of their shots this season have come from behind the arc.
- At 7-1 Webster is tied for the best start in program history with the 2001-02 team.
- Eureka's Luci Weis moved into fourth place on the Red Devils all-time three-point field goal list on Monday night. Weis now has 122 career three's and needs just 14 more to move into third place.