At a GlanceThis week's SLIAC Game of the Week is a women's basketball contest between Iowa Wesleyan University and Spalding University in Louisville, Ky. Game time is set for 12 p.m. EST and you can watch the game live HERE
Iowa Wesleyan "TIGERS"
After dropping their first four games of the season Iowa Wesleyan has rolled off three straight wins including back to back conference wins to hold a 3-4 overall record and a 2-0 mark in the SLIAC. The Tigers are coming off a 68-39 victory over Blackburn. They are averaging 57.7 points per game, 7th in the SLIAC, and are tied for the best three-point percentage in the league at 35-percent. Defensiely the Tigers are second in the SLIAC, allowing just 54.9 points per game.
The duo of Cairece Allen and Darby Massner lead the long range attack for the Tigers. Allen is averaging 13.7 points per game and has hit on 12 of her 16 three-point attempts this season while Massner is averaging 9.7 points per game and has a team high 15 three-pointers. Jaimie Hurd is second on the team in scoring, 10.4 points per game, and leads the team in assists (4.0 apg) and steals (4.4 spg).
Spalding University "GOLDEN EAGLES"
Spalding will enter Saturday's game with a 4-1 overall record and a 0-1 record in conference play. After opening the year with four straight wins the Golden Eagles dropped their conference opener 76-60 to Eureka last Saturday. Spalding is averaging 67.0 points per game, 4th in the SLIAC, and are the best rebounding team in the league, grabbing 51.6 per game. Spalding is also allowing a league low 50.4 points per game on defense.
The Golden Eagles roll out a deep lineup, with 12 players averaging 10 or more minutes played this season. Alex Martin is the team's top playmaker, leading the team in scoring (12.8 ppg) and assists (4.8 apg). Maya Hardin is the top inside player, averaging 9.6 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. Dee Dee Sliter, who missed last season with an injury, is averaging 7.8 points per game and is a threat from the outside.
- The two newest members of the SLIAC have met six times with Iowa Wesleyan holding a 4-2 lead in the series.
- Saturday's game will feature the top two scoring defenses in the SLIAC. Spalding is first at 50.4 points per game while Iowa Wesleyan is second at 54.9 points per game.
- Iowa Wesleyan has won their three games by an average of 33.3 points.
- Spalding is allowing opponents to shoot just 30.6 percent from the field this season, including 28-percent from three-point range.
- A couple of conference leaders will be in action during the game as well. Spalding's Maya Hardin leads the conference in rebounding (9.0 per game) and Iowa Wesleyan's Jaimie Hurd is tops in steals (31).