At a GlanceThis week's SLIAC Game of the Week is the first game of the New Year for a pair of teams battling for the SLIAC Men's Basketball regular season title; Iowa Wesleyan University and Webster University. The game is set for Wednesday, January 4 in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. You can follow the game on Live Stats or watch on Live Video HERE
Iowa Wesleyan University "TIGERS"
Iowa Wesleyan is currently one of four teams tied for first place in the SLIAC standings with a 3-1 conference record. The Tigers are 7-4 overall and have won three straight games, two of those coming in non-conference games, as they enter Saturday's contest.
The Tigers are averaging 89.1 points per game this season, third in most in the SLIAC, thanks in large part to senior guard Steven Soukup (23.8 ppg). His brother Michael is averaging 10.6 points per game and is second in the league in assist to turnover ratio (3.8). Brock Butler is the team's second leading scorer at 15.5 points per game and leads the team with 28 three point field goals. Defensively the Tigers are allowing just 77.9 points per game, third fewest in the SLIAC.
Webster University "GORLOKS"
Webster righted the ship after a tough early stretch to start the season when they dropped four consecutive games. The Gorloks are now 5-5 overall, having won five of their last six games including an 83-67 win over Morthland in the last outing. Webster is currently 2-1 in conference play, just a half game out of first-place.
Webster is averaging 80.0 points per game, sixth in the SLIAC, and lead the SLIAC in field goal percentage. The Gorloks are the hardest team in the league to shoot against, holding opponents to just 43-percent shooting. The Gorloks have benefited from a more balanced attack this year. After having just two players average in double figures in scoring last year (Hunter Ward and CJ Moore) the Gorloks have four players at that mark this year. Joining Ward (16.5 ppg) and Moore (11.6 ppg) are Evan Milligan (14.2 ppg) and Xavier Dortch (11.4 ppg).
- The all-time series between Iowa Wesleyan and Webster is tied at 3-3 with Webster winning the last meeting 83-61, snapping the Tigers three game winning streak in the series.
- Webster senior Hunter Ward became just the 11th Gorlok in program history to reach the 1,000 point mark for their career. He joined the club back on November 25th and now has 1,117 career points.
- Did you know that Iowa Wesleyan's Steven and Michael Soukup are brothers. The duo are in their first year with the Tigers after having spent previous collegiate seasons together at the University of Iowa and Southeastern Community College.
- After missing out on the SLIAC Tournament last year Webster is looking to get back into the tournament this season and extend their conference record tournament appearances to 18.
- Iowa Wesleyan has increased their win total each year since joining the SLIAC back in 2013. In their first season they picked up three conference wins followed by eight in 2014 and nine last year. The Tigers are looking for their first winning season in SLIAC conference play.