Six new alumni will be inducted into the Eureka College Athletic Hall of Fame during Homecoming. Inductees include Dan Cameron of Loves Park, Ill.; Cathy Kalnicky of Streator, Ill.; Mark Layden of Hoopeston, Ill.; Greg McBroom of Gridley, Ill.; Jim Sellers, Jr. of Tremont, Ill.; and Michael Zasada of Canton, Ill. Each will be presented an award during a ceremony on Oct. 15 at 8:30 a.m. The six new inductees will join more than 200 others who have been inducted since the hall was founded in 1970. Among the six new inductees are two former St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference standouts; Cathy Kalnicky and Michael Zasada. Below is a list of the 2016 inductees and their accomplishments.
- Cathy Kalnicky, class of 2010, played softball. She was the starting catcher, had a batting average of .403 and held Eureka's home run record for several years. Kalnicky was SLIAC hitter of the week and was a SLIAC All-Conference Honorable Mention in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Ruddy is currently a science teacher and volleyball coach at Woodland Middle School in Streator, Ill.
- Michael Zasada, class of 2010, played basketball. While at Eureka he ranked second on the all-time rebounding list, eighth on the all-time scoring list, fourth on the single-season scoring list and fourth on the single-season rebounding list. Zasada was the Eureka College Men's Basketball MVP in 2010 and was the SLIAC Player of the Week multiple times. He is currently a buyer at Superior Industries.
- Dan Cameron, class of 2009, played golf. Cameron placed 2nd as an individual in the NIIC conference in 2006 and was named the best newcomer the same year. He was all conference three of his four years at Eureka and twice was the NIIC player of the week. Cameron was the first Eureka College golfer to earn SLIAC all conference honors. He also qualified for two Illinois State Amateur tournaments ('07 and '11). Cameron is currently a registered teaching professional by the Professional Golfers Association of America and the Assistant Golf Professional at Aldeen Golf Club.
- Mark Layden, class of 1974, played football, basketball and track and field and earned ten varsity letters during his college career. Layden was all conference in football his senior year and set three school records in track and field. He is currently a cash grain farmer and owner/operator of Ezee Roll Manufacturing
- Greg McBroom, class of 2002, played football. McBroom was a four-year starter for Eureka and led his team in rushing attempts and yards all four years. He was an all conference running back 1999-2000. McBroom is currently a Portfolio Manager of Constellations Brands Inc.
- Jim Sellers, Jr., class of 1996, was on the swim team. He was a national qualifier in the 50-meter freestyle multiple years and qualified for nationals in the 200 freestyle relay and 200 medley relay and still holds the college record in the 50 freestyle. Sellers currently coaches for the Peoria YMCA DOC swim team and the Tremont Torpedoes summer swim team. He is currently employed by PMP Fermentation, Inc.
STORY COURTESY OF EUREKA COLLEGE SPORTS INFORMATION
- #SLIACtion -