This week's SLIAC Game of the Week is the Men's Basketball contest between Fontbonne University and Blackburn College.
At a Glance
Fontbonne and Blackburn will tip off their 2015-16 SLIAC play on Wednesday night at 8 p.m. in the Dunham Student Activity Center on the campus of Fontbonne University in St. Louis, Mo. Wednesday's game will not only be the the conference opener for both Fontbonne and Blackburn but will mark the first conference games for a pair of first year head coaches; Fontbonne's Lance Thornhill and Blackburn's Steve Kollar. You can follow along with LIVE STATS or watch on VIDEO
Blackburn is averaging 66.5 points per game this season, shooting 42-percent from the field. They are in the middle of the pack in the conference in three-point shooting, averaging 6.0 per game and hitting on 33-percent of their attempts. Junior DeAndre Manual leads the team at 10.0 points per game. Jamie Moore, a senior, offers the team some inside depth at 6.0 points and a team high 4.8 rebounds per game. Jake Maestranzi is the team's top outside threat, hitting on 7-of-11 three-pointers this year.
Fontbonne is led by Coach Thornhill, who ascended to the top spot after spending the previous 18 years as an assistant. The Griffins are averaging 72.8 points per game, shooting 45-percent from the floor. They average 4.2 three's per game. Ben Kissing, a junior, leads the team at 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. Bryce Zimmerman, a freshman, has made the most of his minutes; averaging 11 minutes per game but shooting 73-percent from the floor and averaging 7.7 points per game. Kody Ettinger is the leading three-point shooter with seven three's on the year.
- Fontbonne leads the all-time series against Blackburn, 35-18 and have the last six meetings.
- Fontbonne was picked 3rd in the 2015-16 SLIAC Men's Basketball Preseason Poll while Blackburn was chosen 10th.
- This game will feature the top two three point field goal percentage leaders at this time: Fontbonne's Ben Kissing (.667) and Blackburn's Jake Maestranzi (.636).
- Blackburn has yet to play a home game this season. The Beavers opened the season with six games away from Carlinville, including a neutral site game against Capital in Sewanee, Tenn. The Beavers first home game will be this Saturday against MacMurray.
- Fontbonne has six players averaging at least 7.0 points per game this season.