This week's SLIAC Game of the Week is men's soccer game between Eureka College and Spalding University.
At a Glance
Eureka College will host Spalding University in this week's St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Game of the Week. Spalding one of the preseason favorites in the SLIAC, starts the week with a 3-4 overall record and will face Berea this week before opening up 2015 SLIAC play against Eureka. Eureka meanwhile is off to a surprising fast start at 3-1 overall and 1-0 in conference play. The game is set for Friday, September 25th at 2 p.m. in Eureka, Ill.
Spalding is led by senior Julio DeLeon, with two goals and three assists for a team best seven points. The balanced attack is continued by Cory House, Tenko Kono, and Austin Lanham; each with two goals this season. In net the Golden Eagles have had three players see time with incumbent Logan Spencer seeing the majority of the action before missing the last two games due to injury. Spencer, a senior, has played 405-minutes this year, allowing eight goals while making 20 saves. If he is unable to go the Golden Eagles will turn to either Eric Goranflo or Aaron Seneker in net.
The Red Devils lead the conference in shots per game. Freshman James Bowen and sophomore Brady Thomas are tied for the team lead in points with nine, with Bowen also leading the team in assists with three. Freshmen Tim Johnson and Brock Musoiu have also found the back of the net once each this season for Eureka. In net the Red Devils have sophomore Daniel Johnson, who has made 33 saves in 360-minutes of action while allowing nine goals.
- Spalding leads the all-time series against Eureka, 5-1; including winning the last three games.
- Eureka has already surpassed last year's goal total (9 in 2015, 8 in 2014) and have won their most games since 2011 when they won four games.
- Spalding will be looking to make a repeat trip to the SLIAC Tournament after making their first ever appearance last year.
- Spalding tied for 2nd in the 2015 SLIAC Men's Soccer Preseason poll while Eureka was chosen 10th in the league.
- Did You Know? Spalding's Julio De Leon has ranked first or second in the league in assists in each of his first three seasons; recording double digit assists in all three years.
- Did You Know? Eureka's duo of James Bown and Brady Thomas have accounted for 75% of their teams total points. They are tied for the league lead in points.