This week's SLIAC Players of the Week all played pivotal roles in helping their teams move closer to postseason berths. This week's winners are Alyson Hahn, Deion Hughes, Amanda Gilliland, and Jeff Kammer.
DIAMOND SPORTS/SLIAC BASEBALL HITTER OF THE WEEK
Kammer, a senior first baseman from Chesterfield, Mo., swung a powerful bat last week in hepling his team pick up three important conference wins and secure a SLIAC tournament berth. Kammer started the week with a 2-for-5 game against Greenville, driving in a pair of runs. He followed with a 4-for-4 performance against Division I Illinois State, plating three runs. Kammer then exploded in a double header against Eureka, going 6-for-8 with six RBI and two home runs. On the week Kammer was 12-for-17, a .706 batting average, with 11 runs batted in and six runs scored. In addition he slugged 1.235 on the week and had a .722 on base percentage.
DIAMOND SPORTS/SLIAC BASEBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Hughes, a junior from Jeffersn City, Mo., helped his team move closer to a tournament berth with a complete game shutout win over MacMurray College. Hughes went seven innings, allowing just three hits and one walk while striking out six. Hughes only allowed one runner to get past second base, that coming in the final inning, and kept his shutout intact with a strikeout to end the game; stranding a runner at third. Hughes currently leads the SLIAC in both earned-run average and wins and is second in strikeouts.
SLIAC SOFTBALL HITTER OF THE WEEK
Gilliland, a junior from Bloomington, Ind., helped Spalding clinch a spot into the SLIAC tournament by going 3-1 in conference games on the week. Gilliland hit .667 in six games, driving in six and scoring six runs while slugging 1.167 and finishing with a .700 on base percentage. Gilliland had a hit in all six games on the week, with four multi-hit games. In conference play she recorded an RBI in three of four games. In a double header against Eureka, Gilliland went 4-for-5 with three RBI. She closed out the week by going 5-for-8 against Blackburn with two home runs and three runs batted in.
SLIAC SOFTBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Hahn, a sophomore, helped her team guarantee a winning conference record this season when she notched a win over Greenville in game one of a double header. Hahn went eight innings, allowing three earned runs and just four hits while striking out five. Hahn came on in game two to pitch two more innings in relief, allowing no runs and just one hit while striking out two. On the week Hahn finished with a 2.10 earned-run average, allowing three runs in 10 innings pitched. She recorded seven strikeouts on the week and held opponents to just five hits. This marks the fifth time this season Hahn has taken home the conference's weekly top pitching award.
- Anne Baker, Westminster College (Softball) Baker was 5-for-6 at the plate in a double header against Greenville College with two runs batted in.
- Kaylyn DeCock, Webster University (Softball) DeCock hit .571 in a double header against Rose-Hulman with one home run and seven runs batted in.
- Jaclyn Elmore, Blackburn College (Softball) Elmore hit .727 on the week with two home runs and four runs batted in, swiping two bases. She went 3-for-4 with four runs scored and three RBI in game two of a double header against Spalding.
- Josh Exton, Spalding University (Baesball) Exton picked up a win over Principia, going seven innings of shutout ball and striking out nine.
- Ryan Mosby, Spalding University (Baseball) Mosby hit .429 on the week with two home runs and five runs batted while swiping four bases.
- Gavin Thomas, Principia College (Baseball) Thomas threw a gem against SLIAC East Division leading Spalding, handing them just their second divisional loss this season. Thomas went seven innings, allowing one run and three hits while striking out two.