This week's SLIAC Game of the Week features a battle between the Panthers in men's basketball; Greenville College and Principia College. Greenville will be looking for their first 3-0 start in conference play since the 2008-09 season while Principia is in search of their first conference win this year.
Greenville will host Principia on Saturday at 5 p.m. in Greenville, Ill. Greenville is currently 5-3 overall and 2-0 in the SLIAC, one of just three undefeated teams in conference play. Principia is 1-5 overall and 0-2 in the conference.
After dropping their first two games of the season Greenville has won five of their last six including a current three game winning streak. Greenville will play McKendree on Wednesday night in an out of conference game. Greenville is averaging a conference best 76.2 points per game this season, thanks in large part to a strong inside presence. Greenville also leads the conference with 37.9 rebounds per game and assists per game with 16.6 per outing.
An All-Conference performer last year, Ron Harris leads the team in scoring this year at 15.0 points per game. Harris is shooting 54.3 percent from the field and also leads the team in rebounding at 7.6 per game. Harris is also one of the top defenders in the league, earning All-Defensive Team honors last year; and currently averages 1.1 steals and 1.1 blocks per game. Tim Daniel is averaging 11.2 points per game while leading the conference in three-pointers with 19. Nick Trisko is third on the team at 10.7 points per game and 59.6 percent from the field.
Principia won their season opener 81-50 over Lincoln Christian but since then have dropped their last five games including a 77-72 overtime loss to Webster in their last outing. Principia is averaging 62.3 points per game this season, shooting just 39.3 percent from the field as a team. Principia does rank third in the league in offensive rebounding, grabbing 13.7 per game, and first in rebound margin at +3.5 per game. They are also tops in the SLIAC in blocks per game at 6.0 per game.
Principia is led by Parker Davidson, who is the only men's basketball player in the SLIAC to average a double-double at 15.8 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. Davidson has scored in double figures in every game this season but one and had a season high 24 points against Loras. Justin Ball is second on the team in scoring at 13.8 points per game and leads the conference in blocked shots. Larry Patterson is averaging 13.0 points per game and leads the team with 13 three-pointers while ranking second in the SLIAC in steals at 3.3 per game.
- Greenville leads the all-time series against Principia 30-8 and have won the last six meetings.
- Principia's four conference wins and six wins overall last year were the most for the program since the 2010-11 season.
- Greenville has the top two playmakers in the league right now with Stevonte Young and Brian Ehresman ranking one-two in total assists.
- Principia's Parker Davidson, who is averaging a double-double, has recorded a double-double in four of six games this season.
- Greenville's last 3-0 start came in the 2008-09 season, when they defeated Eureka, Principia, and Fontbonne to start conference play before falling to Maryville. Greenville finished that season with a 9-7 SLIAC record.