The St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) Game of the Week is a weekly feature that highlights a key match-up in the conference. This week's game of the week is the volleyball match between Greenville College and Principia College.
This week's SLIAC Game of the Week is a rematch of the 2013 Volleyball Championship first round meeting between Greenville and Principia. Greenville was the top seed in the tournament after going 17-1 in the regular season but were knocked off by Principia, the #4 seed.
Greenville is 4-4 this season after taking on a strong field in the Washington University-St. Louis Classic. Greenville will be looking to end an early trend that has seen them follow each win with a loss. They are coming off a 3-0 win over Lake Forest last weekend and will face Lincoln Christian College on Tuesday night before the showdown Saturday against Principia.
Greenville returns 2013 All-Conference performer Jamie Schollenbruch. Schollenbruch leads the conference in digs with 8.25 per set. The Greenville attack is balanced with Allyson Mitchell averaging 3.29 kills per set and Nicole Schaeffer averaging 2.54 kills per set. Ellen Lueking and Kirsten Laune have combined for 254 assists in eight matches this year. As a team Greenville is hitting .173 and have allowed just 35 service aces to opponents.
Principia has gotten off to a slow start this year and are just 1-7 in the won-loss column. Principia will have a week off before their match against Greenville as they rest from a trip to Minnesota last weekend.
Principia is led by senior hitter Tess Rountree. Rountree is the team's go-to player, with nearly triple the amount of attacks as her nearest teammate, and leads the conference with 5.48 kills per set. Rountree is hitting .247 this year and also averages 3.97 digs and 0.41 blocks per set. Savanna Sprauge is back as well for Principia and is averaging 7.72 assists per set this season. As a team Principia is hitting .152 this year with 41 service aces.
- Greenville leads the all-time series against Principia 21-18.
- Principia's win over Greenville in the SLIAC Tournament snapped a 13 match Greenville winning streak in the series.
- Greenville opened last year 1-3 before rolling off 13 consecutive wins.
- Greenville was picked as the 2014 SLIAC Preseason favorites with 77 total points and five first-place votes.
- Principia was chosen to finish fourth in the 2014 SLIAC Preseason poll with 56 total points.
- Principia senior Tess Rountree, the 2013 SLIAC Player of the Year, is back and has started the season with a vengeance; winning the first two SLIAC Offensive Player of the Week awards.
- 2013 marked the first year Greenville won the SLIAC regular season title outright and the fourth consecutive year they have earned at least a share of the title.